April 2, 2010

Forming Sisterly Bonds



Definition of Sisterhood - the solidarity of women based on shared, experiences, conditions, and/or concerns.

I have been blessed to have two physical sisters. We are close most times, sometimes not so close and sometimes cant stand one another LOL but we are always sister… Bonded by the love of our parents forever.

Over the years I have met some wonderful women and some of those women have become very close to me. I have called these women my sister friends. We have bonded for so many reasons (similar up bringing, similar interest, similar careers, our children and/or our experiences to name a few). These relationships are tried and true. They have withstood the test of time. We are connected and bonded. I now simply call them my sisters.

When forming bonds of sisterhood there are a few important things to keep in mind:

1. Know what is important to you in a sister. What characteristics are most important to you in a friend?
2. In order to gain a sister you must be a sister.
3. Show respect for one another’s journey – understand that she may not be in the same place as you in her life but her journey and growth & development is just as important as yours
4. Be there for her like she is there for you – nothing is worse than a one sided friendship. Those never last long because there is no balance.
5. Be honest with yourself about yourself – are you really in a position where you can extend yourself in a way that it will take to nourish a sisterhood bond


These are a few of the steps that I follow when nurturing a sisterly relationship. Taking the time to that is needs to plant those seeds and nurture those seeds of sisterhood will develop a bond with strong roots and will grow to be fruitful for all.

Peace
Queen Kailia Earth

1 comment:

The Diplomat IPS said...

Peace I Peacearth Supreme The Diplomat..Sisterhood is indeed a life building essence-tall/essential. For me it is most important for one to be very in tune with self in order to be considered my sista. It is not about how many times that sista says she will be there for me or even how many times she has been there for me. It is really all about how she was there for me when she was there! Eye like this group and will strive to be a tru sista and add on for the Sista Hood!! Peace